Monday, July 26, 2010

Rockupation

Hey all,

Sorry for the lapse in communication. This week has been more difficult because my volunteer placement actually decided to use me, significantly chewing into my time to blog! How dare they! As I've mentioned before, the folks back in my home stay are essentially addicted to Facebook online poker; a point of endless frustration. They're actually leaving to visit family in Honduras and America in less than a week (August 2nd), which will mean me and Trey will have the house to ourselves! Block party! Hahaha... it'll actually be pretty sweet. We're definitely going to miss our host father, but not our host mama! Terrible, I know, but that's life in the West Bank.

In many respects, it's actually been a pretty difficult week, and I thank God for getting me through it. I found out last week that I didn't get into my intended major at the UW: Human Centered Design and Engineering. Huge letdown. I suppose this topic is outside the context of this blog, but it matters, it has impacted me. Last year I found out right I had been rejected by engineering literally a day before leaving to help with a camp for children and their families who have cancer (Camp Side-by-Side)... I don't know if this is any better save for my maturity in Christ and my long-term-understanding.

Don't get me wrong, I was distraught. If it hadn't been for the mercies of His People around me, several e-mails and a phone conversation, it would have been much more difficult than it was. I'm already considering a couple other directions for my life, but honestly, it's all in His hands regardless. He keeps closing some very specific doors on purpose which leads me to imagine there's something headed my way I simply can't anticipate...

Partly in response to the above, I've really dedicated myself to making the most of the time I have left here. These final 15 days...and interpreting for myself what that means. Part of what that's looking like right now is to really be not only reading scripture for personal assurance and growth, but to study it. Spending some decent time following a collection of lessons compiled by a professor at Union College in 1894 that really directs an array of important concepts...and provides ooodles of passage references. If anyone is interested, I could send you one of the lessons. Maybe I'll include one on here eventually...

Essentially, I can no longer ignore the significance of ignorance. Biblical ignorance. This conflict swirling about me is essentially based on assertions of Biblical authority, or at least, from the Torah. For goodness sake, settlers are attacking children in the name of honoring God! How can this result from anything but profound ignorance, when combined with the evil naturally present in all our hearts? How can this be tolerated except by a people ignorant of Christ's passion for the downtrodden?

Anywho, enough ranting for today. Hopefully all is well wherever it may be that you are reading this. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey bud, sorry to hear about things back here. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get into the major I was planning either. Luckily I have a wide variety of interests, and it's quite possible and more likely I'll get into individual studies major... maybe that will work for you? It's always a pleasure reading how much fun you're having. Be sure to enjoy it for all of us back here who wish they were with you! Can't wait to hear more stories! Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! The exciting bit is that God can really do anything with me at this point, and there's nothing of myself to get in the way... Currently I'm an Anth Major, Math Minor which won't specifically get me anywhere but who knows. Anything could happen. ;)

    More stories will be on their way, I assure you. This week we have an over-night trip to Ramallah, the unofficial capital of Palestine. (East-Jerusalem is actually supposed to be their Capital) A trip that will include plenty of adventure I'd imagine (and Turkish baths!)

    ReplyDelete