Sunday, May 9, 2010

Looking Ahead

So, I suppose it's been a month since my last post.

Just as it seems to me that there could be no possible way for one's life to be more replete with activity and happenings, I once more stand corrected. Or sit corrected, as I now am doing in resin lawn chairs.... oh, the beauty of Spring

Deputation. It's happening. In only slightly more time than 2 shakes of a stick, I am going to be flung out to Israel -- the place where it all started! -- for 8 entire weeks. 8 weeks of serving and learning about a people who have played almost as significant a role in world politics as Israel itself has: the Palestinians. Being the other side of a thousands+ years long conflict has something to do with that, I imagine.

For a while, I found myself, honestly, a little frustrated about the whole deal. While I'm down there, I'll be working through an organization that has no spiritual objective about it, it's all political. They're objective is to expose peoples from all over the world to their plight as Palestinians; for us to see their side of the conflict which rarely makes it past The Media. I was frustrated that during this once-in-a-(at least)-very-long-time opportunity, I wouldn't have a direct outlet to share my faith. In fact, you're encouraged not to by the organization unless explicit asked to do so. Naturally, I've found myself wondering why a Christian Church would be sending individuals to such a place. To a place that has not particularly missions-oriented for a missions trip. It just seemed weird.


After having talked with a number of people about this, I still don't think I have a concrete answer. From what I've gathered, this trip is one of those that is specifically to grow you and stretch you through challenges and crazy-new experiences, of which I'm sure there'll be plenty. Growing is always meritorious, but I can't help but feel that it just seems like such a cop-out explanation. (see post: Convenient Answers)

More revelations soon to come, I hope.

God's Peace,

1 comment:

  1. Keep an open mind, and I'm sure answers will come. I'm excited for you and your trip! Slightly jealous, but glad everything is going well. I think you'll find it rather interesting... I mean, the whole palestinian view. At the very least, you'll be able to know that God is opening your eyes to what the world really is like... I know that although there maybe a lot of politics in there, somewhere in the large stem of things, lies the truth... just a matter of how many pineapples you have to grow to get to it... no serious plunder. xD

    Take everything that you hear with a grain of salt, and I really challenge you not to take a position on either side until after you get back and get a chance to digest everything that you've encountered. It's a crossfire of who's-on-who's-side-and-for-what-reason. I'd hate to think that you were pushed hastily to either side, because I honestly do believe that there are equal merits to both sides of the argument that God stands for, but you really have to wonder about where they stand in God's eyes.

    Children and their toys I guess? Only the toys are much bigger in this sense. Nations, military, bombs, politics and such... truly all useless in the timeline of eternity, but a great veil hiding what God intended for us, them, etc.

    - Musings of a child who likes to play with "toys"

    ReplyDelete